Wednesday, September 11, 2013

C4T #1

Comments for Teachers
For my C4T I read and commented on Diane Dahl’s blog. Diane is a teacher, who received her bachelor’s degree from WGU. She also received a master’s degree in Brain Based Teaching at Nova Southeastern University. She now resides in Texas.

Post #1

In Using Data to Drive Meaningful, Targeted, Brain-Based Math Instruction the teacher used data to help with future assignments and homework for the students. In order to assess the needs of students, she met with the students who excelled along with those who were not doing well in her class. Students met with their teacher at what is called the teacher’s table. I found the teacher’s table to be interesting so I commented on the Diane Dahl’s blog asking if there is a specific time that she set aside to meet with students at the teacher’s table. Diane included her students when it came to decision making in the classroom by assessing their interest and needs. She incorporated music, sports, names of friends, names of teachers, and games based on the interest of her students to help with lessons. In the blog Using Data to Drive Meaningful, Targeted, Brain-Based Math Instruction Diane demonstrated the type of assignments she gave her students in which she used personal interest to help create them as well. Diane’s blog is very helpful. when trying to find a new way of teaching in the classroom. Find Diane’s blog by clicking the link

In my comment I stated that I am a EDM 310 student and I left a link to my blog. In my comment I wrote: I enjoyed reading about your multifaceted approach. Knowing what students are interested in and how well they perform in certain subjects can definitely help with improving classroom instructions. The multifaceted approach allowed me to be open-minded when thinking of possible ways to teach my class. I would have never thought of finding out what each student is interested in and using that information to help guide my teaching because I thought classrooms are based strictly off lesson plans written by higher authority. Are there specific times when each child gets to meet at the teachers table like at the beginning or end of class? Also, I agree with the idea of keeping track of things students missed on test to help assess how well they retained information. Many teachers continue to move on because they have so much information they want their students to learn before moving on to the next grade, but I’m glad that there are still teachers out there willing to assess and reteach. The homework and morning math stood out to me the most because each assignment included shapes, which allows those who are visual learners to have a better understanding of what they should be looking for and how to get to the correct answer. Overall, I enjoyed reading your blog.

Post #2

Diane Dahl gave out useful information to help with practical and strategies to use in the classroom in Metacognitive Thinking Skills for Life and learning part one: Optimism. She gave an example of how students react when they are optimistic and when they are pessimistic from a study that she found from Seligman. The experiment proved that those who are optimistic will accomplish a challenge without hesitation better than those who are pessimistic. The experiments lead Diane to her different teaching strategies, which are Deal with it, The Next Time, and Delete. Deal with it means taking care of the problem right away, The next time says that even though things don’t work out the first time an optimistic person will find a way to get better and the last strategy is delete the negative thoughts. Diane closed by saying “your optimistic attitude will make your class a better place..” I found her closing statements to be interesting because students are expected to follow the teacher and teachers are expected to lead by example.

My comment for Diane:

Diane, I thought it was appropriate to give a definition of optimistic and pessimistic in your blog so that your readers could understand the possible behavior students may show. After giving a definition of optimistic and pessimistic you talked about two experiments you found of children who were optimistic and children who were pessimistic while working on a task. Thanks to your definition, I could picture the pessimistic children being frustrated with their assignment and why. You gave detailed actions of how the children responded to their challenge. “Clearly, the students were under the misconception that intelligence is fixed.” What does that statement mean? I agree teachers are good resources for helping students understand that their brains are changeable. Also, I can relate to the statement “students sometimes put off assignments because they are afraid of failure and then by the time they start working it is too late to do a good job which then results in a poor grade.” There have been times where I put off an assignment for more than three days because it was challenging and I did not want to give up some of my time to take an attempt at it. Your blog not only helped me as a future educator, but it helped me as a college student. I will keep in mind the outcome of being optimistic and the statement our brains are changeable. Follow me on twitter @educating_1

No comments:

Post a Comment